NZ Timber Profiles chooses not to stock or machine timber that has been treated with CCA (Chromated Copper Arsenic). Instead, we offer the following options for outdoor timbers that are safer to handle and better for the environment:
- MicroPro is the first timber treatment process to be EPP (Environmentally Preferable Product) certified by Scientific Certification Systems, based on life cycle assessment.
- MicroPro is a pressure treatment using micronized copper preservatives. It contains no arsenic, and releases 90% to 99% less copper into aquatic and terrestrial environments when compared to amine copper preservative systems.
- MicroPro treatment reduces energy use by approximately 80% when compared to amine copper preservatives.
- MicroPro has undergone rigorous testing internationally, and meets stringent standards for VOC emissions. This means that MicroPro treated timber is safe to use for sensitive environments such as playgrounds and schools.
- We treat our MicroPro timber offsite, at a facility that meets Auckland Council’s highest environmental standards. This includes a water catchment and reticulation system to prevent chemical runoff from the storage yard.
- Due to the copper content, MicroPro treated timber should not be used in situations where it will be in direct contact with food or drinking water. Stainless steel or copper should also be used for fixings, as MicroPro may gradually corrode other metals. Please note that MicroPro treated timber is also not safe to burn as firewood.
- MicroPro treated timber will have a slightly green colour, similar to CCA treated timber.
- Accoya® is a modified wood system whereby timber (usually Radiata Pine) is acetylised in order to resist rot. Acetylisation fundamentally modifies the structure of the timber, utilising naturally occurring plant acids in order to give softwoods the same durability as tropical hardwoods. Because of this, Accoya® is non-toxic, biodegradable and recyclable.
- Due to the stability of Accoya® and its resistance to shrinkage or cracking, it is a good choice for timber joinery and timber mouldings. It is also safe to use for furniture.
- Accoya® has been independently accredited as a carbon negative product across its entire lifespan – meaning that it draws in more CO2 than it releases.
- Accoya® has a warranty lifespan of 50 years for above-ground uses, and 25 years for in-ground use.
- Accoya® can be disposed of in the same way as untreated timber (e.g. burned, recycled or composted).
Western Red Cedar
Western Red Cedar is a sustainably-sourced timber from managed forests in North America. It is light, durable and dimensionally stable in character, making it a great choice for joinery and weatherboards.
- Cedar contains oils which make it naturally resistant to decay, and therefore it does not need to be chemically treated in order to withstand outdoor environments.
- Cedar can be painted or stained, but it can also be left to weather from its natural pinkish-red colour to a pale silver-grey. Although it is technically a softwood, Western Red Cedar resists cracking or shrinkage even when unfinished.
- Reasonable life expectancy of Western Red Cedar is 50 years for above-ground use.
- As Western Red Cedar is a natural timber, unpainted waste can be burned, recycled or composted.